Friday, May 15, 2009

"I'm Christian"

Lately, my thoughts have turned to how loosely we use the term "Christian" in our culture. If you aren't an athiest or catholic or jewish or buddhist- then you are a christian. It seems to be sort of a catchall for anyone not actively pursuing an all together separate belief, yet that person doesn't seem interested in exploring God either. Now, technically I believe that's being called an agnostic, so let me define it further, "I guess I believe in God and all that, I dunno, whatever." So we call them a Christian. If your political views are conservative, you're a Christian. Now, regardless of what you were doing on Saturday night, into the wee hours of Sunday morning, if you roll out of bed and slide into a pew on Sunday, you aren't just a Christian, that makes you a "fanatic" or "Jesus freak."

How many of us are living our lives worthy of such a title? When people ask me, "What religion are you?" or "What denomination are you?" I haven't quite thought up a clever comeback, though I cringe at that word "religion" because it lacks any implication of a personal relationship with God at all, and I'm not a fan of denominations, my answer is straight up, "I'm a Christian." But these days, I want to say so much more. I want to say I'm not JUST a "Christian" but a Bible-believing, heavenbound, sold out life worshipper of the one True El Shaddai, lemmetellyouaboutmySavior Christ-follower!

I'm realizing more and more, and greatly saddened by the fact that so many of us (myself included) practice this watered down worship of the Lord that is such a slap in the face to Him who sits on the throne! Honestly, how much of my day is spent in disobedience, in prideful self-involvement, utterly void of any conscious recognition of the One who created earth and every living thing in it?!

Its an empty shallow life, and such a waste. I want to live this life serving the Lord with wild abandon! The way my heart and soul longs to do, and so often I've allowed either pride or guilt (or both!) keep me from.

No comments:

Post a Comment