Tuesday, March 8, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I was recently wooed by an unexpected treasure in the bookstore. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp has revolutionized my thinking in what I believe is a beautiful and God-pleasing way. This book is beautifully and artfully written in a way that awakens all senses. However, the driving message between the covers is what has had the biggest impact on my life.
The challenge is to give thanks, in all circumstances. To swim against the current of lamenting, of focusing on our have-nots and woe-is-me's. And to count your blessings instead. I always considered myself one who is easily amused. I can stare at a sunset with complete infatuation. I relish the sounds of my children in the next room, chattering away. I could go on and on. But this practice of literally counting ways to thank our Father in heaven, to literally list them with pen on paper, it has me subconsciously seeking to find the treasures of blessings, gifts, that God has lavished on us each and everyday. And I'm hopelessly hooked. I find myself slowing down even more to take in my surroundings. And in this act of seeking, I have found no time for lamenting. Daydreaming of "what if's" and "if only's" has lost its hold on me.
Oh, how I wish this increasing joy for everyone. Please do not let me discount that this act is nothing if it is simply noticing nice things. It is acknowledging the Giver of these gifts, it is lifting up His name for all that He has bestowed to us, His created, THAT is the point. HE has given us so much. And HE deserves our eternal and total gratitude and worship. Praise the Lord, Oh my soul!!!
And so I am in the process of collecting my own list, 1000 gifts. I am currently on #68 and God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment